It is normal to have anxiety. However, if you feel anxious too much for no particular reason, you may have symptoms of Anxiety Disorder or an anxiety disorder.
Anxiety Disorder or symptoms of anxiety disorders is an excessive and uncontrollable feeling of worry or anxiety about various things and conditions. If you have an anxiety disorder, you will feel worried about various things, even when you are in normal situations.
At a level that is classified as severe, anxiety disorder can also interfere with daily activities for people who experience it. There are different types of anxiety disorders, including:
- Agoraphobia, which is a feeling of fear and often avoiding situations or places that cause you to feel panicked or trapped.
- Anxiety disorders due to certain medical conditions
- Specific phobia, which is an excessive and persistent fear of a particular activity, object, or situation that is generally harmless.
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), which is chronic anxiety that indicates a tense and excessive worry
- Selective Mutism, which is an anxiety disorder in children who cannot speak in certain situations or conditions.
- Separation anxiety disorder is usually experienced by children during their growth and development.
- Social anxiety disorder, which is an extreme fear that arises when you are in the presence of many people
To help you understand better about Anxiety Disorders, here are some explanation.
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Signs and symptoms of anxiety disorder actually depend on the type of anxiety disorder the sufferer is experiencing. The following are signs and symptoms of Anxiety Disorder:
- The emergence of excessive anxiety and worry about various unusual conditions
- Difficulty controlling feelings of worry
- The emergence of various excessive thoughts about solutions and plans for every worst possibility that does not necessarily arise
- Easily feel angry, tired, irritated, nervous, and feel cornered.
- It’s easy to feel tired and restless constantly
- It’s hard to concentrate
- Doubt, fear, and difficulty making a decision.
In addition to some of the symptoms above, anxiety disorders can also cause physical symptoms, such as having trouble sleeping, headaches, body shaking, excessive sweating, nausea, abdominal pain, and recurring diarrhea. To help cure anxiety disorders, we will need mental health treatment directly from the experts.
Causes of Anxiety Disorder
So far, no definite cause for anxiety disorders has been found. Even so, a combination of several factors is thought to contribute to triggering the emergence of anxiety disorders. These factors include:
- Having a family with a history of anxiety disorders
- Have a history of trauma or have experienced an event that made the sufferer depressed, such as bullying or bullying.
- Have a disease that requires treatment for a long time, such as arthritis.
- Have a history of disorders of the nervous system
- Factors using illegal drugs or alcohol addiction.
The Causes that mentioned above may NOT all off them, but these are the most causes that ever happened. In fact, because of the large number of people with mental illness today, there are some areas that do mental health treatment in mass to help patients to be better.
How to fix it
There are two methods of treatment for anxiety disorders, namely cognitive behavioral therapy and medication.
1. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is done so that sufferers recognize and change patterns of behaviour and thinking that make them feel anxious. This method helps the patient not to turn an ordinary thought into a negative thought and is able to see it more realistically as how Mental Health Treatment in Worcester, MA does.
In this therapy, patients need to spend 1 hour each week to undergo 1 session of CBT therapy for 3 to 4 months. During CBT therapy sessions, a psychologist or psychiatrist will also teach relaxation techniques so that patients can feel calmer when facing situations that can trigger anxiety disorders.
In addition to CBT therapy, the doctor will give several types of drugs to reduce anxiety. Some types of drugs that doctors usually give to treat anxiety disorders are antidepressants, pregabalin, and benzodiazepines.
Not only drugs and cognitive behavioral therapy, people with anxiety disorders can do the following to relieve their symptoms, namely:
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and caffeinated beverages, as well as smoking.