What uses is Zyban?
Helping smokers quit smoking. Zyban is for smokers over 18 years old.
Zyban can increase your chances of giving in, but it won’t make you give up. Your determination and willpower will still be required. It’s important that you get as much support as possible while you give up. This will increase your chances of success. This support can be provided by your doctor, local pharmacist or practice nurse.
What is Zyban?
Zyban tablets contain bupropion hydrochloride as the active ingredient. This medicine is used to stop nicotine addiction. It works in the brain, but it is not nicotine replacement therapy.
We don’t know how bupropion helps people quit smoking. Bupropion can increase levels of dopamine and noradrenaline in the brain. These neurotransmitters have been shown to influence mood and behaviour. Although the exact effects of increasing these neurotransmitters are not known, they do appear to reduce your desire for smoking and increase your resistance to temptation.
- Start Zyban treatment while you smoke. Set a target stop date for the second week. Because the medicine takes time to work.
- Zyban tablets are available for purchase Either with or without food They should be. They should be Take them whole and drink water. Do not crush, chew or break them.. Tablets are called ‘prolonged-release’ tablets. This means that the medicine is slowly released over several hours. Side effects can increase if you crush, chew, or break the tablets.
- For the first six days, one tablet is recommended daily. The dose will increase to one tablet every seven days.It may be recommended that elderly people, people with kidney or liver disease, and people at higher risk of falling (see below), continue to take the medicine one time per day. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Between your doses, there should be at least eight hours. If you take the medicine twice daily, it is best to take the first dose as soon as you wake up and the second at least eight hours later. Avoid taking the second dose right before bed, as insomnia is a common side effect.
- You can forget to take your dose You can leave the missed dose out and just take your next dose at your regular time. Do not take more than one dose to make up the missed dose.
- Your doctor may ask you to stop using Zyban if you are still not able to quit smoking by the seventh week. You can continue zyban treatment for up to nine weeks if you have quit smoking. You may be advised by your doctor to stop slowly.
What should I know about Zyban before I take it?
- Zyban could reduce your ability to Drive or operate machinery safely. You should not operate any machinery or drive until you have a clear understanding of how the medicine affects you.
- Limit how much you consume alcohol Zyban can be taken with or without alcohol. Some people are more sensitive to alcohol when they take Zyban.
- Zyban can cause seizures or fits, but these are rare side effects. Your doctor might not recommend Zyban